Listening to CBC's The Current, a discussion about David Emerson, and increasingly, it just makes me sick.
A few points:
- At least Boolinda served in her party's caucus for a while before switching, regardless of the perceived 'talent' of the person
- Emerson's statements before and immediately after the election, regarding the ruin that Harper would bring to Canada...how can this man now sleep?
- All the people who donated money to Emerson's campaign, $100k, to help elect a Liberal, have just been slapped in the face. And robbed.
- All the Liberal campaign workers who gave their time, as volunteers, to help elect Emerson, have just been slapped in the face.
- All the Conservative campaign workers who gave their time, as volunteers, to help elect their own candidate, have just been slapped in the face.
- All the NDP-minded voters who cast their ballots strategically for Emerson, to prevent a Conservative majority, well...they got what they deserve.
This is an absolute affront to democracy. Emerson must step down and run again in a by-election. Of course, he won't, because he has pissed off his riding, and they will punish him. Better to act and ask forgiveness, than to ask permission....
Emerson's riding has not elected a Conservative since the 1950s. They say all will be forgiven if he solves the softwood lumber dispute, if he delivers a great Olympics. A very tall order indeed. Let him try and redeem himself that way, if he chooses, and if he succeeds, great. But I hope the electors of Vancouver Kingsway remember what Emerson has done, to them and to democracy and relegate him to the dustbin of history.