Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Stupid Questions

Clearly the study of science--nay, not even the study of science, simply the acceptance of reality--is something people hate. Two recent gems:

First off, there are those people who were sentenced to death for spreading HIV in Libya, even though a study of the strains of HIV showed that the children were infected long before the nurses arrived in Libya.

And then, even better, from Slate magazine. Daniel Engber, who does Slate's "Explainer," is going through questions that he didn't answer. This one is wonderful:

Why do humans die so young? In biblical times, people lived for several hundred years; now living to 100 is considered a long life. What happened?


RIGHT. Cue Warren Kinsella, "The Flinstones is not a documentary." The Bible, that wonderful respository of fact. Honestly, anyone who believes the Bible is factual has no more rational basis for saying so than I have for saying that the Greek stories of Zeus or the Oddessy are actual factual accounts.

UPDATE: Going through the Slate article, there are even a lot of better, more stupid posts:

  • Could you tell me if there's been any kind of medical discovery in the last 30 years besides DNA.
  • Hi. How did the horse in the movie about dreams make it to not only survive but to win again? Was this movie true?
  • Are UFOs confirmed to be from other Alien Planets?
  • Working in my yard yesterday, I killed a gnat in my ear canal, where it had flown. I couldn't remove the body as my finger was too fat. What happens to it now?
  • yea i have my own 620 gang and i dont know how to run it to make not look like a little bitch gang joke it is just me and my friend how do i run it?

All I can say is: Wow.

No comments: